The Federal Communications Commission (FCC or Commission) is seeking additional applications for Consumer Advisory Committee (CAC) membership. Applications must be received by 11:59 pm EDT. The purpose of the FCC’s Consumer Advisory Committee is to make recommendations to the Commission regarding consumer issues within the jurisdiction of the Commission and to facilitate the participation of consumers in (including underserved populations, such as Native Americans, persons living in rural areas, older persons, people with disabilities, and persons for whom English is not their primary language) proceedings before the Commission.
In December 2014, the Commission announced the renewal of the CAC for an eighth two-year term, and solicited applications for membership at that time. That application period closed on January 20, 2015. In the Commission’s recent Open Internet Order, the Commission directed the CAC to “formulate and submit” to the Commission a proposed Open Internet enhanced transparency rule disclosure format. In response to this charge and in furtherance of the CAC’s other responsibilities, the Commission believes that a second CAC membership application solicitation is warranted. The Commission is particularly interested in receiving nominations and expressions of interest from individuals in the following categories:
- Organizations representing consumers (including underserved populations, such as Native Americans, persons living in rural areas, older persons, people with disabilities, and persons for whom English is not their primary language);
- State and/or local government agencies and organizations;
- Federal government agencies;
- Communications service providers and organizations representing communications service providers, including wireline and wireless communications service providers, broadcast radio and television licensees, cable television operators and other multichannel video programming distributors, satellite communications service providers, interconnected Voice over Internet Protocol and other IP-enabled service providers, and Internet Service Providers; and
- Qualified representatives of other stakeholders and interested parties with relevant expertise.