In February 2014, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC or Commission) adopted a number of closed captioning quality standards and technical compliance rules. While effective dates for several of these changes have already been set, others were pending Office of Management and Budget (OMB) approval. OMB approved the rules on December 18, 2014 and an announcement of such approval was published in the Federal Register on December 29, 2014. The following rules will take effect on March 16, 2014:
- Maintenance of records of video programming distributors’ monitoring and maintenance activities;
- Procedures relating to informal complaints regarding the Electronic Newsroom Technique (ENT);
- Compliance procedures relating to use of ENT
- The one-time ENT progress report, which is due no later than June 30, 2015;
- Rules containing captioning quality obligations and standards; and
- Captioning Best Practices.
In December 2014, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC or Commission) released a Second Further Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (FNPRM) regarding closed captioning in the same proceeding. Comments on the Second FNPRM are due by January 20, 2015 and replies are due by January 30, 2015.